1. Hi Sam, can you tell us how you got in to trainer collecting? What inspired you to start Sneaker Hunter?
I started to collect when I was old enough to buy them for myself really but I have been into kicks since I was 7 or 8, as I was growing up I was heavily into basketball so seeing Penny, Shaq, Jordan, Pippen, Hill to name a few all in their signature kicks and just wanting them all. As I got older I started to get more into runners which is where my love for kicks got even bigger.
I started SneakerHunter as a way of providing hard to find kicks to people who wouldn’t know where to begin looking for them as well as just selling some of the gems that I come across!
2. What’s your take on the current state of collecting trainers? Has the more-recent interest in Air Max 1s and Jordans flooded the market with resellers trying to make a quick buck?
Yeah, I mean it’s good to see a lot more people taking an interest in kicks but a lot of people are just wearing what is the most popular as opposed to what they just like or feel comfortable in!
I think Nike has just made the most of this sudden boom and can you blame them! It can be a bad thing but for me it’s good as people that are looking for older more unique models will come to me.
Resellers are always going to be part of the kicks game as long as there’s money to be made, I think that people will wise up to it soon and realise that a lot Nikes 'limited release' are not so limited. Also as so many people are reselling through ebay its will bring the resale value down.
3. What’s the jewel in your collection? Any particular shoes you’re trying to track down?
I have a few pairs that I really love but to be honest I just love kicking back in a pair of free runs as I don't worry about scuffing them or anything like that.
I’m always on the lookout for new pairs and I probably take about 5-10 deliveries a week (not all for me) but I would really like to find some more pairs of 2000 Nike Air Max Deluxe! They are one of my favourite kicks of all time (but the list is still massive).
4. Any particular releases between now and the end of the year that you’re looking forward to?
Been looking forward to the Norse NB1500 and I think I’m going to try and grab a pair! Apart from that I just take every week as it comes due to there being so many releases daily/weekly you’re spoilt for choice
5. Any advice to budding collectors out there?
Just wear what you like not what you feel you should wear! You don't have to buy every collaboration or limited release to have a good collection!